- Short-term memory loss (pre-dementia)
- Premature aging
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic anxiety
- Irritability, impatience, and inability to listen
- Wired at night, tired in the morning
- Restlessness: inability to relax
- Insulin resistance
How Excess Cortisol Damages the Body
When we are chronically stressed, our adrenals inundate the body with cortisol. This hormone breaks down muscle tissue to convert it into useable energy, and this increase of energy comes at a cost.
Chronic high levels of cortisol turn off the immune system, digestive system, detoxification, regeneration, and sleep cycles.
Whereas individuals with adrenal fatigue feel exhausted due to low cortisol, those in a "hyper-adrenal" response are always in an accelerated state.
These are the signs of a hyper cortisol pattern:
- Catastrophizing — when a stress occurs, it becomes difficult to calm oneself.
- Feeling “wired and tired” — Complains of chronic fatigue but feels restless.
- Night owl — Struggles to fall asleep at night and has trouble waking up.
- Chronic anxiety — A hyperadrenal state triggers an alarmed response, which often provokes anxiety.
- Physically agitated — Excess cortisol creates a need for mobilization, manifested by leg shaking and nervous gestures.
- Premature aging — Cortisol breaks down muscle tissue and other tissues of the body.
- High blood pressure — Cortisol constricts the blood vessels, increasing blood pressure.
- Human Doing rather than Human Being — An individual judges their life on the criteria of productivity, and is challenged to be peaceful in the present moment.
- Pre-diabetes — Cortisol increases blood sugar, and chronically elevated blood sugar leads to insulin resistance.
- Digestive dysfunction — Acid reflux, constipation, ulcers, SIBO. When stress is on, digestion is off.
- Chronic infections — Bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic infections. Cortisol depresses the immune system.
- Weight gain on belly -- Excess cortisol encourages fat storage on the abdomen.
How Excess Cortisol Damages the Brain
The brain's hippocampus has two important functions:
- First, it is responsible for short-term memory, critical for learning and remembering where you put your keys.
- Second, it determines when sufficient cortisol has been produced. Think of the hippocampus as the Cortisol Thermostat.
High cortisol has a toxic effect on hippocampus cells. Cortisol literally causes the hippocampus to shrink. As a result, short-term memory is diminished.
When the hippocampus dysfunctions, the brain keeps instructing the adrenals to produce cortisol long after the need has been met.
Putting the brakes on excess cortisol is necessary for healing the brain's hippocampus. When the hippocampus returns to health, the brain can once again establish normal cortisol levels.
How Cortisol Brakes Works
Building a better brain is critical to any health challenge. Our essential oil blends re-balance the brain, so you experience a higher level of health, productivity, and strength.
- Excessive cortisol turns off immune function, memory, digestion, detoxification, regeneration and sleep.
- The hippocampus is the brain region that prevents excessive cortisol output, but hippocampus function diminishes with chronic stress.
- Apply Cortisol Brakes™ four times a day, after 12pm, to support healthy levels of cortisol and promote hippocampus function.
Cortisol Brakes Application
1. Put a small amount of oil (less than a drop) on your index finger.
2. Apply to the temples, halfway between the end of the eyebrow and the hairline, on both sides of your head.
Cortisol Brakes™ ingredients include: organic and/or wildcrafted essential oils of Holy Basil, White Grapefruit, Foraha, Cajeput, Celery Seed, and Spearmint in a base of organic jojoba oil.Learn about our essential oil quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
In almost all hypo adrenal conditions, there are certain parts of the day when you’ll experience a higher output of cortisol. This is usually at the end of the day if you feel wired, or waking up in the middle of the night. You can use Cortisol Brakes at these times, to quiet these spikes of cortisol.In cases of adrenal fatigue, the autonomic nervous system is affecting the adrenals. The adrenals can only heal when we are in a primarily vagal state (parasympathetic state). To support that, we recommend our blend Vagal Tone for all cases of adrenal fatigue.
As with all essential oil products, keep Meo Energetics products out of reach of children. Do not ingest, or have children ingest, Meo Energetics products.Our products may be used on children over 6 years of age, if applied by an adult. If you are pregnant or nursing, please check with your health care provider before using any essential oil products. When used as directed, we have formulated our products to be suitable for nursing moms.
Any combination of our Brain Oils can be used at once. This is actually the most powerful way to experience the oils, as they have a synergistic effect when used together. You do not need to wait after applying one oil before you apply the next one.
We’ve formulated our 5ml bottles to last for many, many applications as we value the sustainable use of essential oils. When used as directed (less than a drop per application, used four times per day) the bottles last for six to eight weeks.